Thursday, May 15, 2008

Redirect My Docs to a network drive

Have you ever wanted to change the location of the My Documents folder from the local hard drive to a network drive? In previous versions of the Windows operating system, performing this task required a series of tricky registry edits.

However, that's not the case in Windows XP. A built-in feature allows you to quickly and easily change the location of My Documents.

Follow these steps:

1. Press [Windows]E to open My Computer.

2. Right-click the My Documents icon in the folder tree, and select Properties.

This opens the My Documents Properties dialog box, and selects the Target tab by default. My Documents is actually a shortcut to a folder, and the Target text box in the Target Folder Location section displays the path to this folder.

To change the location of the My Documents folder, type the new path in the Target text box, or click the Move button.

Clicking the Move button opens a standard browsing dialog box. Use the controls to drill down to any local or network drive you want.

Click OK to close all dialog boxes.

0 comments: